Suse Linux

Monday, October 03, 2005

samba

earlier i said that there was an excellent article on samba on susewiki. I was mistaken. Actually it is at tweakhound; the full URL is here

http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

It provides a step-by-step guide to how to get samba running and how to even configure the Windows XP clients.

I just have one thing to add on the Windows XP SP2 side.

Click on My Network Places. Then, instead of View WorkGroup computers, which is what I used to do, click instead on View icons for networked UnPnP devices. This will immediatebly show the Samba server. I haven't been very satisfied using the View Workgroup computers options, it is very unresponsive.

Also, if you plan to use wireless lan on your Samba server, it does work! Make sure to disable the normal lan card, and to configure our wireless router to assign a static private ip address to the wireless lan card on your Suse Samba server. Then, it should work. Don't ask me why, but that's how i got it to work properly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home