Suse Linux

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

MacOS X Dashboard

Just passed by an Apple Authorized Resller in IFC Mall today and spent a long time in there trying out iMacs. I couldn't resist the chance to use a Mac OS X, i have never gotten my hands on one before. Anyways, tried it out and asked the sales guy there plenty of questions and learned a lot about Mac OS X.

I was really impressed with the Dashboard which contains many mini-applications called widgets. Widgets can do a variety of things, from being calculators, help you translate, convert currency, or even check up flight schedules! And they look absolutely awesome! It is really good eye-candy.

When I got back home, I tried to get something like that working on Suse. Unfortunately, there is not nearly as many widgets made for linux as for Mac OS X. Well, there are quite a number of gdesklets, but I couldn't get it to work after fumbling with it for an hour, and gave up.

I had more success with Super Karamba, but the widgets there were very limited. And some of the ones that did work were not very pretty.

The ones I were pleased with only amounted to three:
the dashboard calculator, aero-aio and the xmms bar.

I do hope the linux community comes out with more to match Mac OS X. I really love the Dashboard concept!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home